Saturday, April 24, 2010

Le macaron

You can't come to Paris and not have at least one macaroon. With their delicate, crisp outer shell and rich, chewy filling they are a must for anyone with an inkling of a sweet-tooth.

Everyone here knows there are only two real players in the market - the famous and long-established Ladurée and the relatively new Pierre Hermé. I hear that Pierre Hermé once worked at Ladurée but went rogue and started his own chain. You definitely see the differences in their flavour menu with Pierre having a much more adventurous selection - such as the new Fraise & Wasabi (strawberry & wasabi). Don't think I'm game enough to try that yet.


So, who does it better? If you're going to spend at least €1.50 a pop, you might as well buy the best, right? Although I've already tried both brands when I was here last year I decided to settle the score once and for all; to test* them out and give you the definitive answer. (Hell, I just really wanted to eat some).

I thought I'd start with the basics. From Ladurée I bought: chocolat, caramel and cerise (cherry); from Pierre Hermé: chocolat and caramel as well (to allow some sort of comparison) and huile d'olive & vanille.


[Please wait...taste-testing in progress...]

And the verdict? For the chocolat, Pierre Hermé wins hands down. It's soo yummy. For caramel, I like Ladurée better and although I can't really compare the last two, the Olive Oil & Vanilla is different and delicious. Taste-wise, the Pierre Hermé macaroons seem a little less sweet (so you can eat more of them!) and texturally they're just that little bit more chewy on the inside. It's not really the definitive answer I was looking for but overall, I think Pierre Hermé is the winner. The ultimate winner today though? My stomach :)

You'll just have to come and try them for yourself - both are delish. Ladurée is a little cheaper at €1.50ea, and Pierre's €1.85ea. You can see from the photos though that his are much thicker with a lot more filling. Bon Appétit!

*This test has absolutely no scientific methodology whatsoever and is based purely on my personal preference at that particular date and time.

3 comments:

Tennie said...

Stella!!! I've taught you too well!!
So jealous!!! I wish macarons lasted more than 3 days otherwise I would have asked you to ship them over to me! :P

Baz said...

I didnt get to go to Pierre Hermé, just went to Ladurée both in Paris and in London, haha, there is one in Harrods! So when you do come back, you are bringing some back for me right??? Right???

Stella said...

If only Tennie!
Haha Baz, if I'm feeling generous :)